Mayoral Race: The Final Lap

With election day approaching in Hawthorne on Tuesday, November 5, 2013, it is vital to know the mayoral candidates. Running on the Republican ticket is current mayor, Richard Goldberg. Running on the Democratic ticket is Lois Cuccinello. For the residents of Hawthorne, the choice falls either for a record of accomplishments with promised continued improvements or for immediate change.

Owner of a small business, Goldberg hopes to make more contributions to the community of Hawthorne.  Looking back at the accomplishments made by the Republican administration, the Hawthorne Press reports an “average municipal tax increase of  $129 over the past three years, attracting $7.75 million in new ratables in the past four years and $4.7 million in grants received to date.” From a structural perspective, Goldberg has successfully paved 6.5 miles in road, made improvements in drainage (most notably on Washington/Royal Aves, Mohawk/North 14th, and Charwalt/ Highview). Additionally, recreational fields were upgraded with improved drainage, and plans of a new traffic signal for Goffle Road at Rock Road are under consideration as well as a bandshell by the pool. Throughout the five years that spanned Goldberg’s tenure, Hawthorne Day was established, and the 9/11 memorial was created. Despite poor national economic conditions, Goldberg points out that Hawthorne has attracted the interest of developers, as seen with the new residential complex on 55 Westervelt Avenue.  He hopes for another term as a mayor, making Hawthorne friendlier towards small businessmen and residents.

The opposing candidate, Lois Cuccinello sees Goldberg’s term as one lacking in ingenuity. Cuccinello is quoted in the Hawthorne Press as saying, “We need a change. I feel we are stuck.” Former Passaic County Freeholder and assistant labor commissioner under Corzine’s administration, Cuccinello hopes that her election will usher in more “smart” development. She has criticized the current administration for a lack of vision. She believes that emphasis must put on assets, such as the train station, and Cuccinello claims that she is the woman to do it. As a mayor, she hopes for a more inclusive government, where all have a say in any matter. Also promising to stimulate the economy on a local level, her visions aim for a healthier and a more open society.

Running with Goldberg for Council seats are Dominic Mele, John Lane, and Bruce Bennet. Joseph Wojtecki, Jeff Gardner, and Naomi Collier are running for Council on Lois Cuccinello’s ticket.