HHS Annual Blood Drive: Another Success

The Hawthorne High School Student Council hosted another successful annual Blood Drive on March 25, 2014.

This year’s Blood Drive was a huge success due to the large number of students and staff who donated – a grand total of 97.

When asked how he felt about the success of the Blood Drive, Chase Knepper, Student Council president and blood donor said, “I think it’s an incredible number, and it doesn’t surprise me; the sense of community we have at this school is extremely high. It is really heartwarming to see so many people come out and support such a great cause.”

For several years the Student Council has collaborated with Community Blood Services in Paramus to host the Blood Drive.  Students who wanted to donate signed up with HHS Student Activities advisor and art teacher Danielle Russo. To be able to participate, students needed to be 16 or older and have a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian.

Each student donated approximately one pint of blood. When students finished donating, they were given juice or water and a cookie to help them regain energy.

Each student  that donated had a great reason to give. When asked why she donated, junior Jessica Glatty said, “At first I thought, well, I’ll get out of class, but then we had this amazing speaker come in who made me realize it’s so much more. I could save a life just by sitting there, and they gave me cookies.”

Shayla Lugo, also a junior, said she donated because “I like the idea of helping people. Donating the blood didn’t do me any harm, so I think it was a good thing to do.”  Alex Wojtecki, junior, agreed with Lugo and said, “Personally I donated blood to help others; I felt that the blood I donated could help someone or even save someone’s life.”

The Blood Drive came to a close at the end of the school day, and all the donations from students were greatly appreciated by Community Blood Service.