Changing Amongst Changes: A Senior’s Perspective

Senior Angelika Alvarez knows about change. Over the last four years, she has seen new principals, new vice principals, new students, new courses and new rules at Hawthorne High School. This senior has some definate opinions about all these changes.

“The rules are a lot stricter,” Angelika says. For example, she says that in the past she was able to wear flip flops and Adidas slides without getting an in-school suspension. This is one of Angelika’s biggest arguments. “If I could change a rule it would be the dress code because I’ve never been in an incident where my flip flops have harmed someone else.”

Angelika believes that not all of the changes have been bad. She is referring to all the new electives that are being offered at HHS. “The additon of new classes has been very beneficial. The Essentials For Learning in the 21st Century class benefits us because it gives us a clear understanding of what we’re going to come across on the PARCC test.”

When asked if these changes have affected the school positively, Angelika was quick to reply that it has. The senior believes that although she may disfavor some of these new rule enforcements, she’s strongly in favor of all the new changes that include teachers, classes, principals, vice principals, and everything that makes this school the best it can be. Her experience here at Hawthorne High School has been phenomenal. She wouldn’t change a single thing about this school… except the dress code.

Interviewing Angelika Alvarez was an eye opening experience. It will help others prepare and understand the changes that they will be going through over the next few years at Hawthorne High School. All underclassmen are hoping to have an amazing experience at this high school just like Angelika.

About the Contributors
Kaitlyn Melendez
Kaitlyn Melendez is currently a junior at Hawthorne High School. Writing has been something that she’s always enjoyed doing, so she is happy to be writing for The Clarion for her third year. Aside from writing articles for the school newspaper, she is the lights manager for the school productions, a member of the varsity golf team, and she also enjoys writing music and poetry. Reading, guitar playing, and drawing are also a few of her many hobbies. Kaitlyn is open to all suggestions for future articles.
Veronika Alvarez
Veronika Alvarez, Staff Writer
Currently a sophomore at Hawthorne High School, Veronika Alvarez is writing for The Clarion for her second year. Along with writing articles for The Clarion, Veronika writes poetry.  She likes to read. Her favorite author is Ellen Hopkins and her favorite poet is Edgar Allen Poe. She is excited to write for the school newspaper and is open to any suggestions on future articles.