Frank Riley

Hawthorne High School alumnus, Frank Riley, has made his home town proud by being extremely successful in the business world. On January 6th, Mr. Schell’s Entrepreneurship class was thrilled to invite Riley in to speak about his success.

Leaving HHS in 2000, Riley already had a long resume. He was Student Council President, Vice President of New Jersey Association of Student Council (NJASC), and delegate to the National Association of Student Council (NASC). Aside from his academic achievements, Riley played football, baseball, and was wrestling county champion. Riley graduated from Boston University’s film school, as well as earning his Bachelor’s Degree and Master of Business Administration from New York University.

After finishing his schooling, Riley became an entrepreneur and created his two businesses: Norton Edwards and Dalzell Creative Group. Riley is currently in the process of moving his businesses from Brooklyn to Manhattan. Norton Edwards creates media campaigns and produces live entertainment events. Norton Edwards has produced many events such as the Tribeca Film Festival, Gotham Awards, Independent Filmmaker Project (IFP), FiFi Awards, as well as the Dumbo Festival.

To actually produce a show, however, is a detailed process. Norton Edwards must build the campaign, which includes meeting the client, developing the schedule and budget, working with the location’s staff, and creating the “visual identity.” After building the campaign, Riley’s company then must direct/edit any video content, and manage the talent for the event. After all has been finished, Riley must then measure the exact success of event.

Along with Norton Edwards, Riley is also the creator of Dalzell Creative Group. Dalzell Creative Group is a group of real estate developers. Dalzell works to create business for cultural projects.

Riley has been very successful in business, but of course like anyone, he had doubts. He explained that it was hard in the beginning and really difficult to make a name for himself. Riley needed to learn how to surround himself with trusting and respectful people. Riley concluded by giving advice to anyone who wants to succeed, “Be passionate about something. Be willing to do any version of it, free for the first time. And read about it as much as you can.”

About the Contributor
Cielle Tousignant, Co-Editor & Chief
Cielle Tousignant is currently a senior at HHS and is a second year writer for The Clarion. Cielle is Co-Chief Editor of The Clarion along with Leah Matari. She plays softball and volleyball for HHS as well as being involved in clubs. Cielle is involved in the Class Cabinet, Student Council, Peer Leaders, Italian Club and SHARE.  She is also a member of the National Honor Society and the Italian Honor Society. Cielle is excited to take the Journalism elective this year and gain the privilege to be a part of the school newspaper. Cielle is open to all suggestions and ideas for her articles!