HHS Art Students Exhibit at WPU

Art students at Hawthorne High School have been invited to participate in the annual student art exhibit ARTstart at William Paterson University.  The exhibit runs from January 17 to January 31 in the Power Art Gallery at William Paterson University off Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne.

Art teachers Danielle Russo, John DiLonardo, and Allan Rosenberg selected the works of six students for this exhibit:

Annie Weisz “ Untitled “ Blue Pen and Colored Pencil

Alyssa Matos “Flower Study” Blue Pen and Colored Pencil

Josh Padilla “Samus” Blue Pen and Colored Pencil

Jessica Scirocco “Untitled” Tempera on Canvas

Alennys Nieves “Taylor” Tempera on Newsboard

Kelsey Cimillo- “Untitled” Digital Photography

Art teacher Danielle Russo is also exhibiting one of her own works: an untitled acrylic on canvas.

Russo is excited about the opportunity this event gives to HHS art students. “This exhibit offers them the opportunity for their work to be seen by a college community,” she said, “and it also unites them with other art students in our area. It’s great exposure for our art program and for our students. WPU is also connecting this ArtStart exhibit with portfolio reviews for potential students. Seniors have the opportunity to show their portfolio at  a portfolio review that same day as the reception. Another perk is that any of the senior students participating are eligible for an art talent scholarship to the university through this portfolio review process. So overall, it’s a fantastic opportunity that WPU is giving to art students in the area, and its a great way to show a new community all our talent we have here at HHS.”

All students whose work is selected for ARTstart will receive a certificate of recognition. In addition, there will be awards in a number of categories including, Best in Show. Judging will be conducted by two distinguished university art professors. An art talent scholarship for an eligible senior will be awarded during the reception ceremony.

A gala reception and awards ceremony will be held on Saturday, January 31, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Power Art Gallery. The award ceremony will begin promptly at 1:30. Refreshments will be served and tours of the Power Art Building will be conducted.