HHS Cheerleaders Win State Championship

The Hawthorne High School cheerleading team took home the title of New Jersey State Champs at the Eastern States Cheerleading Championships at Fairleigh Dickinson University on February 22, 2015. With a clean and solid routine, the HHS cheerleaders got first degree of excellence in all of the events (17 total) that the team entered. The girls are coached by Liz Farkas and assistant coaches Nicole Chamberlin and Raquel Pisacreta. 

Particularly outstanding were the accomplishments of Katie Russo who took first place and Overall Champion in Singles Cheer; Francesca Lupo who took first and Overall Champion in Singles Cheer/Dance; Angelika Alvarez, Ashley Edson, and Gabby Maoli who took first place and Overall Champions in Triples Cheer/Dance; Francesca Lupo, Rachael VanEk, and Angelika Alvarex who took first place and Overall Champions in Triples Pom.

Coach Liz Farkas is proud of her cheerleaders, saying, “What sets the HHS Cheerleaders apart from other teams is that we have a consistent level of precision in all areas of cheerleading, including cheering, dancing, and stunts.  As a team, we don’t want to exhibit success in just one area, but all areas and aspects of this sport.  With such a talented and dedicated squad, this season was truly one of our best seasons yet!”

The following is a list of participants who competed as a “Single, Doubles, or Triples” group. Next to each participant is the award earned.  If not noted (JV), the participants competed on the Varsity level.

INDIVIDUALS

Singles:

Cheer-

Katie Russo-1st and Overall Champion in this division, Francesca Lupo-1st

Dance-

Francesca Lupo-1st, Gabby Maoli-1st, Devyn Alvarez-1st (JV)

Pom-

Sabrina Irvolino-1st, Katie Russo-1st

Cheer/Dance-

Francesca Lupo-1st and Overall Champion in this division, Sabrina Irvolino-2nd

Doubles:

Cheer-

Gabby Maoli/Rocco Pecoraro-1st, Rachael Van Ek/Angelika Alvarez-1st

Dance-

Kiana Moore/A’Jariqah Grady-2nd, Kayla Conlon /Bella Kowalski-2nd

Pom-

Darielys Molina/Jennifer Cruz-1st, Sabrina Irvolino/Francesca Lupo-2nd, Kristen Little/Orangy Batista-Perez-2nd (JV)

Cheer/Dance-

Angelika Alvarez/Francesca Lupo-1st, Marissa Shea/Amelia Biedrzycki-1st

Triples:

Cheer-

A’Jariqah Grady/Katrina LePage/Brielle Diaz-1st

Dance-

Angelika Alvarez/Ashley Edson/Gabby Maoli-1st, Carly Spirito/Krista Kedl/Bella Kowalski-1st

Pom-

Katrina LePage/Callie Keyzer/Kayla Conlon-1st, Francesca Lupo/Rachael VanEk/Angelika Alvarex-1st and Overall Champions in this division

Cheer/Dance-

Angelika Alvarez/Ashley Edson/Gabby Maoli-1st and Overall Champions in this division, Ashley Edson/Iliyana Serrano/Gabby Maoli-1st

TEAM

Team Entries:

Varsity:

Team Cheer-1st and Overall Champions in this division

Team Dance-1st

Team Pom-1st

Team Cheer/Dance-1st

JV:

Team Cheer/Dance-1st

“Cheer Olympics”

3 Stunt Groups competed in the Longest Held Extension event

1 Stunt Group competed in the Basket Toss event and Hawthorne won for “Best Basket Toss”