Peer Leader Fieldtrip to Fairfield Lakes

Abby Provencher, Contributor

The Peer Leaders of HHS, along with advisors Kelly Clifford and Matthew Corvo, ventured out on a fieldtrip to the Fairfield Lakes YMCA on April 2 to engage in teamwork-based activities.

Upon arrival at Fairfield Lakes, the YMCA staff served the Peer Leaders a filling breakfast in preparation for the morning hike. During the hike, the YMCA staff member told tidbits of history and information on the reservation, nature, and the Appalachian Trail. At the endpoint of the hike, the Peer Leaders enjoyed a breathtaking view of the surrounding mountains, trees, and the icy lake. “It was as awesome as I had remembered it from last year,” remarked senior Peer Leader Nina Nadirashvili. “All the effort to hike up there was worth the view.” The YMCA staff also organized the group to yell a phrase in unison so they could hear the echo vibrate off the mountains.

After returning from the hike and filling up on lunch, the Peer Leaders split into two groups and headed for the ropes course stations for teamwork activities. The students learned to communicate, collaborate, and problem solve together so they could overcome challenges such as fitting their entire team on one wooden block and getting everyone through a “’spider’s web” made of rope.

Following the rope course, the YMCA staff spoke to students about wilderness survival tips before splitting the group into three smaller teams and tasking them to build their own shelter. From this, students learned the challenge and necessity of assembling a roof, using sturdy materials, setting up above water level, and so on, as to survive against the weather.

The final activity was the rock climbing wall. Although it was optional, the YMCA leader encouraged students to take up the challenge. It took lots of strength and perseverance, but many students rose to the occasion and reached the top of the wall. Senior Angelina Campomizzi shared that one of her favorite parts of the trip was “letting out my inner mountaineer by conquering the rock wall.”

Peer Leaders is a Hawthorne High School club that focuses on character and leadership development. This trip allowed the members to build these traits and learn valuable life lessons. Many of next year’s Peer Leaders already look forward to returning!