2015 in a Review

Liam Duffy, Staff Writer

As we ring in the New Year, Hawthorne High School’s journalism class is reminiscing on the amazing events that took place in 2015 and all to come in 2016.  HHS started off 2015, by entering a new reign under 2015 graduate, Jake Grootenboer, the 2015 Mr. Hawthorne. The Mr. Hawthorne 2016 competition will take place on Friday March 4 at 7:30 pm.  The Class of 2016 annual Speedball Tournament took place next in 2015, and the championship game was a tough one. The team led under Coach Ryan McMann beat out the team under Coach Dannielle Russo, 3-2 in a competitive game. HHS is excited to see if another team can beat the reigning champions as they have 8/9 players returning.

The spring musical of 2015 was, “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” and  sold out nearly every show. The 2016 musical is bringing HHS back to the 50’s with “Guys & Dolls”. Don’t miss the shows, the musical will be Thursday April 28 to Sunday May 1.  

Spring sports had great success in 2015. Varsity boys baseball had a great run and made it to the Group 1 Sectional Finals. Girls Varsity track and field had a phenomenal season and a standout star in Kaitlyn Salisbury. Salisbury was a state champion in both the long and triple jump, and went on to win nationals in the triple jump. Boys Varsity track also had a great season, with the boys 4 x 100 meter relay team making it to the state meet of champions.

At the end of the 2015 school year, HHS elected its new Student Council board under President Leah Matari and Vice President Liam Morrissey. The 2015-2016 school year started off with an energetic Fall Pep-Rally and a fun-filled Spirit Week. As 2016 starts off, the Winter Pep-Rally is right around the corner on Friday January 8. Student Council held a Fall Fest to start off the Spirit Week festivities which brought over 150 students together on a Thursday night in October. It was at the Fall Fest, that HHS entered it’s new reign under Homecoming King Liam Morrissey and Homecoming Queen Cielle Tousignant. 

As the Fall sport season came to an end, our football team was still playing strong. The team played their hearts out in a battle against Glen Rock at Glen Rock High School but fell short in over time, this was a state semi-final game. The Hawthorne community had well over two times the amount of supporters than Glen Rock.

To close out the 2015 school year, the senior class held the Holiday Dance which this year had a masquerade ball twist to it. HHS is excited for 2016, and will be sad to see our seniors graduate in 6 months. Good Luck to everyone, and try to keep those New Year Resolutions.