Winter Pep Rally

Ms. Russo

HHS cheerleaders performing at the Winter Pep Rally

Veronika Alvarez, Staff Writer

On Friday, January 8, 2016, Hawthorne High School’s Student Council held its second annual Winter Pep Rally. Senior students at HHS wore their black shirts with the class of 2016’s senior logo, which were also worn for spirit week. The freshmen, sophomore, and junior classes wore blue and white from head to toe. The Student Council President, Leah Matari, and Vice President, Liam Morrissey, spoke along with the principal of HHS, Mr. LaGrone. Mr. LaGrone ended his speech to the student body with his famous catch phrase, “Go bears!”

The captains of the winter sports teams called each teammates name out as the gym filled with cheers for them. As the cheerleaders were called out, they spirited out to their spot in line, following with a cheer and dance routine. The band pumped up the crowd with their music, while Gabby Sloan performed her solo color guard routine.

Jackie Corbo amazed her fellow students and the faculty of HHS with her rendition of the National Anthem. Each class decorated their section of the gym with posters and banners showing their spirit. Kaitlyn Melendez, sophomore at HHS, said, “I enjoy the pep rallies because they bring the school together and show how supportive we are of one another, being especially supportive of the sports.”  This Winter Pep Rally was a success!