Hawthorne Bears Welcome West New York’s Future Teachers

Gomes

HHS Future Teachers at HHS

Abby Reicher, Staff Writer

The Hawthorne High School Future Teachers class is for students who want to pursue the teaching profession as a career. Mr. Bernard Gomes teaches this class and recently the students in the class participated in an exciting class trip.  

The students participated in a “student exchange” with a school in West New York.  A student exchange is when a group of students from each school go to the opposite school to see what the school is like.

The class is currently learning about the different types of areas a school can be located in.  Many people do not realize how much the area surrounding the school has an impact on the school itself and the students in that school district.

Students in the class started to realize that not every school district has the same financial and academic level as other school districts; which creates a greater challenge for educating them.  To learn more about this topic, the students from West New York met with the students from Hawthorne High School on May 19 (here in Hawthorne), and then again on May 22 (in West New York).  

Hawthorne was lucky enough to be hosting these students on the day the HHS Art Department was presenting the annual art show.  The Hawthorne students took the West New York students on a tour around the school, and showed them all of the wonderful things that happen here on a daily basis. Future Teachers’ students, from both schools, were both very lucky to see and experience all of the aspects of each school.

Students from both schools were filled with excitement to explore the different aspects of each school and community.  The teachers were also thrilled to see their students interact with each other and see each of their students’ passion to teach in the future come to fruition.  

Let’s give West New York students a big Hawthorne Bears welcome!