SNY Future Filmmaker’s Festival

Kaitlyn Melendez, Editor

Every year, SportsNet New York (SNY) looks for high school students in the tri-state area that are passionate about film and sports to take part in the SNY F3 Future Filmmaker’s Festival. Each contestant had to create a short film with a duration of three to thirty-five minutes in length. All films had to be sports-centric. Prizes are awarded for best films in a variety of categories, which are determined by a panel of film production experts.

This year, the president of the Hawthorne High School Broadcasting Club, Anthony Ramos, submitted a short film to the contest. He had to create a film on an amateur, professional, or semi-professional sport. His video was all about the HHS varsity golf team, and the equality that the team represents.

Ramos told The Clarion, “My short film was inspired by the diversity on the team. We have people on the team that come from different ethnic backgrounds, practice different religions, have different sexual preferences. The best thing about the HHS golf team is how accepting everyone is about everything.”

This moving video placed top 15 in the contest, so Ramos will have the chance to take a trip to the festival in New York with the other top contestants. Upon hearing this news, Ramos was so surprised and excited about placing because while he had the idea in mind for some time, he didn’t spend as much anticipated time on the film itself.

Filmmaking is something that Ramos has always been passionate about. He got into filmmaking because of his love for photography. As a junior, Ramos has already been accepted into Full Sail University. He plans on pursuing a bachelor’s degree in software development.

HHS is proud of Anthony Ramos and his accomplishments. The Clarion wishes him good luck at the film festival in June! You can find Ramos’ short film on YouTube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLBH2xTP0Q