Derek Jeter: Final Trip Around the Diamond

After 19 astounding years, Derek Jeter, 40-year-old New York Yankees captain and shortstop, announced on February 12, 2014, that the upcoming 2014 season will be the end of his career, and he will be hanging up his helmet and retiring.

Jeter, who was drafted by the Yankees in 1992 right out of high school, played on the minor league Class A team, the Tampa Yankees, for three years before making his debut in the MLB in 1995. Within a year, the young Jeter had made a name for himself. By 1996, he took home the Rookie of the Year Award and helped the Yankees win the World Series. This was the first of many MLB World Series titles that Jeter would help the Yankees bring home.

Jeter’s career high did not end there. Over the course of his 19 years with the Yankees, he has played in 2,602 games and according to Baseball-almanac.com has had over 10,000 at bats, 3,316 hits and 1,800 runs. He has been selected for 12 All-Star games and, out of the seven World Series games the Yankees played in, he helped them win five.

Along with all of these achievements, he has also won 29 esteemed awards, including important awards like the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year award in 2009, the All-Star Game Most Valuable Player in 2000, and The Babe Ruth Award in 2000.

In a New York Time’s article, David Waldstein quotes Jeter regarding his reasoning behind retirement. Jeter says, “There’s other things I want to do. I look forward to doing other things.” Although his fans are devastated by his news, Jeter has had many good years with the Yankees, and they wish him the best on the next step in his life.