Jenna Dyksen: Leaping into Success

Hawthorne High School senior, Jenna Dyksen, will forever be remembered here at HHS. Not only will she be remembered for her amazing athletic prowess, record-breaking performances, and as The Record’s Athlete of the Week title, she will also be remembered for being a remarkable, kind-hearted, hardworking leader and individual.

Girls track coach, Gus Schell, sums up who Dyksen is as a person and an athlete. “She’s one of the hardest working athletes I’ve coached in my thirty years of coaching and one of the only athletes that I believe got the best out of her potential. Everyday throughout the season, Jenna led by example and always worked hard at practice. She was a true senior leader.” Schell also mentions how he will miss Dyksen next year, and that he knows whatever she does in the future she will be successful.

Jenna 2The hard work and dedication described by Schell is clearly seen in Dyken’s many accomplishments this year. In addition to being named The Record’s Athlete of the Week on May 19, 2014, she was a county champion in two track events, and a league champion in four. Dyksen is also a North 1 Group 1 state champion in the 400-meter intermediate hurdles, 100-meter high hurdles, and the triple jump. Additionally, Dyksen helped lead the Hawthorne’s varsity girls track team to both a League Champion title and a State Sectional Championship title. Dyksen currently holds four school records in the long jump, triple jump, 400-intermediate hurdles, and 100-meter high hurdles.

Reflecting on the team’s victories this year, Dyksen said, “I knew going into the league championship meet, we had a chance to win, so I stepped up and worked my best not just for myself but for the team.” The county meet could be seen as a turning point for Dyksen. At the meet, she ran four seconds faster than her normal 400-meter hurdles time, and jumped further in the long jump than she ever has. Dyksen also had the same mindset going into the state sectional meet, where she scored 38 of the 91 points.

When asked how he would describe Dyksen and the amazing season she had, Jayson Lavorne, girls track coach, said, “Fierce competitor. Off the track she is sweet as pie, but do not be fooled. Jenna has a scorching competitive fire… Jenna’s work ethic and drive is what transformed her over the last three years and not only has she become one of the greatest athletes to come through Hawthorne, but she is one of the greatest kids.”

Paige Stroh, one of Dyksen’s best friends and teammate, also reflected on Dyksen as a competitor and person, calling her “poised” and “beautiful.” Stroh continued, saying, “Jenna is such a genuine girl with a big heart. If you go to a track practice, her attitude is positive the entire time regardless if she wants to do the workout or not, she’ll get it done without complaining, and that says so much about who Jenna is. She really is a beautiful person.”

Dyksen will attend Calvin College in the fall and will be running track there as well. She hopes to become a speech pathologist after college.

Dyksen has made an everlasting imprint on HHS. Everyone at HHS agrees with Lavorne when he says, “I am truly blessed to have been a part of her journey, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for Jenna.”

Jenna, HHS will be rooting for you from a distance.