The Best Oscars Yet

For millions of people, Sunday evening on March 2, 2014 was devoted to the 86th Annual Academy Awards.  As expected, host Ellen DeGeneres delivered a night full of classic jokes and unforgettable moments.

Critics and viewers agree that this year’s Academy Awards was the most exciting and entertaining one in years.  Over 43 million viewers in America alone tuned in Sunday night, making it the most-watched entertainment telecast since the Friends finale.

At 8:30 p.m. sharp (EST), Los Angeles’s Dolby Theatre was filled with the best-of-the-best in the film industry, who were patiently awaiting the announcements of the coveted awards.

DeGeneres was the perfect host for the Oscars, reviving her successful Oscar hosting performance in 2006.  Opening with a hilarious monologue in which she infamously joked that Liza Minelli was a man, she went on to break a world record during the ceremony.  Between awards, DeGeneres took a selfie with some of Hollywood’s biggest stars and posted it on Twitter.  Her goal to get the most “retweets” ever succeeded.  The photo brought in over 3 million retweets and even temporarily “broke Twitter.”

Although DeGeneres did a fantastic job as host, the 2014 Oscars would not have been so successful without its amazing nominees, winners, and acceptance speeches.

Best Supporting Actor nominee Jared Leto was awarded the Oscar for his incredible performance in Dallas Buyers Club. Leto’s moving and emotional acceptance speech, where he gave thanks to his mother and also gave tribute to those countries in crisis, was the perfect way to start off the awards.

Following this, the Best Supporting Actress award was given to Lupita Nyong’o for her extraordinary performance in 12 Years a Slave. Amazingly, this was her first role in a feature film upon graduating college.  Nyong’o’s speech was also a favorite of the night as her eloquently spoken words resonated with the audience and viewers.  To quote, Nyong’o said, “No matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.”

As the night progressed, the stakes got higher as the most coveted awards were announced.

Matthew McConaughey won Best Actor in a Leading Role for his exceptional performance in Dallas Buyers Club and Cate Blanchett took home the Best Actress in a Leading Role award for her role in the Woody Allen film Blue Jasmine.

To end the night, the most coveted Oscar for Best Picture was awarded. Even though Gravity was awarded seven Oscars, including Best Director and Best Cinematography, 12 Years a Slave was the big winner.

After this year’s ceremony, the 2015 Academy Awards sure have a hard act to follow.