• Tim McGraw collapses on stage in Ireland

• President Trump just released his new school safety plan in which teachers will be armed

• Helicopter crash in the East River leaves five dead

Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Victoria Jungermann, Staff Writer

Everyone loves to get money without actually doing anything, some people win the lottery, some just get a large inheritance, or some cheat their way to win a game show. Let’s take a look a three people who thought they could fool the world by coughing their way to the final question of “Who wants to be a Millionaire? UK Edition.” If you don’t know what the game is, here’s the brief description of it; You answer questions and win more and more money throughout the rounds, however, if you miss a question, you’re done and you lose all the money you’ve won in the following rounds. The only way to keep your money is to walk away when you get to a certain point, or by winning the million, which is rare. So just how can someone cheat in a game like this? These three contestants did and it wasn’t very subtle.  

Major Charles Ingram, who would soon be known as Coughing Major, went on the popular game show “Who wants to be a Millionaire” in 2001, hoping to win money to help with his family’s debt. His episode went on for two days, and on day one he wasn’t doing well. He had already used his lifelines, and was barely getting the questions right, but then suddenly, on day two, he knew every single answer to the questions. On the second day of the game, Charles’ wife, Diana, and her brother, Adrian Pollock, were giving him the answers. Many may ask how; it wasn’t an ear piece, or a sign that said “THAT’S THE ANSWER”, it was a cough. Every time he would say the correct answer out loud when reading the choices, a cough could be heard in the audience. Then afterwards he would pick that choice and get to the next question. After he won the million pounds, many people said he and his wife got into a large argument. Apparently he wasn’t supposed to get to the million, he was just supposed to stop after getting the amount to pay off their debt, but the adrenaline kicked in and he was immersed in the game. 

After reviewing the footage of his suspicious victory in the game, they were called in and questioned, which later led up to them being discovered. Not only did they have to return all the money that he “Won” in the game, but he also had to pay a massive fine for his cheating, along with serving time in jail. Charles and Diana were sentenced to 18 months in jail, while Adrian was sentenced to 12 years. Along with the time in jail, Charles was also stripped of his Major Status by the Army Board after 17 years of service.

So what’s the lesson that these folks learned? Don’t use coughing as a means to win a game show, because then, it’s only gonna end with a fine, jail time, and a few cough drops for you.

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Clips For Carter: The Jandoli Edition

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Clips For Carter

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

HHS Wants to Thank Atlantic Stewardship Bank

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Hawthorne’s History: A Certain Sandy that Walked our Halls

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Mr. Hawthorne: Alex Zawojski

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Mr. Hawthorne: Laith Matari

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Mr. Hawthorne: Rocco Pecoraro

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Mr. Hawthorne: David Souhlakis

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Mr. Hawthorne: Aidan Harmer

• Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major

Mr. Hawthorne: Brian Reilly

Game Show Scandals: Coughing Major