e-Books: Reading of the Future

In this new day and age of technology, it seems as if reading from an actual book will soon be obsolete. e-Books, also known as electronic books, have become the norm in many places, including here at Hawthorne High School.

Starting this school year, varied selections of e-Books are available for any student or teacher interested in reading an electronic book for free.

At the moment if you are interested in reading an e-Book, you must sign in under the username and password given to you by Mrs. DiGeronimo, which then allows you to choose from the 60 titles currently available in the online library.

The current e-Books at HHS range from romance novels, such as The Scorpio Races, to books based on our new electives, including culinary and marine science, to books about subjects for research, such as teen pregnancies.

The e-Books at HHS also have a feature for optimal learning and research opportunities for both students and teachers. Some e-Books have the capability to be read by any number of people at the same time. This will allow students reading or doing research on the same book or topic to all have access to the same book at the same time. Student and teachers can identify these books by choosing an e-Book with an infinity sign on the corner of the book icon. On top of these already technologically advanced features welcomed to HHS this year, the Library Media Center has integrated the e-Books into the online book catalog which can be accessed even from home at www.destiny.hawthorne.k12.nj.us.

“You can read our e-Books on any device with Internet access,” said Media Center Specialist Theresa DiGeronimo. “This includes laptops, tablets, iPads, smart phones and android phones.”

The e-Books have already been used by a number of the HHS students and faculty; the future of e-Books here at Hawthorne High looks promising.