Welcome, Mr. D’Anna!

Hawthorne High School welcomed interim principal Michael D’Anna on May 1, 2014, after Barry Cohen’s retirement.  So far, D’Anna has been “very impressed” by Hawthorne High and its “college campus feel.” He is also extremely pleased that everyone has been so “welcoming.”

D’Anna comes to Hawthorne with a long list of credentials. He has had over 10 years of experience as principal, serving in both full-time and interim positions at Pine Brook School in Manalapan, Matawan Regional High School, and Cliffwood Elementary School in Upper Saddle River. Aside from being principal, D’Anna has also taught at elementary, middle, and high school grade levels.

For having such a distinguished career in education, it is interesting to learn that D’Anna originally majored in business during college. However, after sitting in and observing numerous education courses he knew that’s what he needed to do. He then switched majors and was ready to embark on a career as an educator.

“I do not regret [switching majors]; it’s a great career,” says D’Anna.

D’Anna has signed on to be with HHS until June 30, 2014. On filling in the shoes of Mr. Cohen for the remainder of the year, D’Anna says, “Cohen has done a wonderful job, and I want to continue what he started.”

HHS welcomes D’Anna and is excited to have him as our principal for the rest of the school year.