Henry Peneno: Farewell to a Dedicated Educator

Hawthorne High School wishes a fond, yet sad, farewell to Henry Peneo as he retires from his long career in education. The current supervisor of Guidance, English, World Languages, Art, and Music began teaching in 1966 and arrived at HHS in September 1971 as an English teacher. Peneo’s dedication to his subject and his students was acknowledged and rewarded when he was named Passaic County Teacher of the Year 1992-1993.

Peneno moved from the classroom to the Guidance Department in 1993. “There was an opening in guidance at that time,” remembers Peneno, “and I had already gotten my guidance certification at WPU, because I knew that if there was something I would enjoy doing in education, if I were to leave the classroom, it would be guidance. “

As he looks back over the past 41 years at HHS, Peneo’s favorite moments have been working with the students and staff. “People often ask me how students have changed over the years,” Peneno said, “and except for the change in styles of dress (‘hippie’ look during the ’60s, bell bottom pants, platform shoes during the ‘disco era’, ‘big hair’ during the ’80s, ‘hip hop’ look more recently) students are young adults who will always need nurturing, direction, validation, and being cared for and treated fairly. For many young people a teacher may be an important role model in their lives.”

When asked what he plans to do in retirement, Peneno replied: “I will continue to attend my grandson, Henry’s, baseball and soccer games in Hawthorne. I may go back to become an adjunct faculty member at Bergen Community College where I taught for 12 years in the evenings. My other thought is to mentor future teachers through WPU or Montclair State University, or mentor future administrators. I will also become more active in my church and volunteer at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood. My wife and I also have two trips planned: chartering a catamaran with two other couples to visit the British Virgin Islands in the late fall, and a river cruise of Russia during the summer of 2013.”

“Retirement” may be the wrong word to describe the future for Peneno.