Shealyn Costello: Music is in her Blood

When HHS senior, Shealyn Costello, steps out onto the football field as a member of the high school band, she brings with her more than her drum. She brings a legacy passed down four generations from her grandfather, James J. Costello Jr., the founder of the Hawthorne Caballeros—one of the most celebrated drum and bugle corps in the state.

“My great-grandfather and my grandfather were percussionists and loved music,” said Shealyn. “My grandfather marched with the Holy Name Cadets drum and bugle corp for awhile. He went to Spain for a trip and his love of drum corp and of the country Spain itself inspired my great-grandpa and my uncle to start [the Caballeros].” And that is how the journey started in 1946 when Shealyn’s grandfather returned home from his service in World War II, determined to create a drum and bugle corps.

Since that day the Caballeros have won 9 titles from the DCA World Championship, 16 titles from the American Legion National, 17 titles from the National Dream Contest, and 43 titles from the New Jersey State American Legion according to its website at hawthornecaballeros.org. The Cabs have put “this town on the map, as most say,” said Costello.

Describing her family’s love for music, Costello said: “Since I can remember I’ve been going to drum corp competition. My dad would bring me even in the stroller to watch and listen to both the horn line and drum line warm up. My dad marched 22 years of drum corp, played trumpet for two years in the Muchachos Drum and Bugle Corp then, played every single percussion instrument you can think of. My dad joined our family’s corp, the Hawthorne Caballeros, and my mom marched for six years in the color guard (which is how they met). Along with my parents, I have had over 20 relatives and really close family friends who march in that drum corp.”

Costello herself has been playing the percussions in the HHS band for four years and with the Caballeros since 2011. Last year, was one of her most memorable performances as the Cabs played and marched to a ballad that was dedicated to her grandfather. The theme of last year’s show was “Heritage” which honored the Caballeros 65th anniversary.

“A lot has changed since the corps establishment in 1946 and my grandfather’s passing in 2001,” said Costello. “He was the director and president of the organization for 55 years, but things are still good. I have met lifelong friends that I can call my family, and to be honest I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for the drum corp and the people in it. Some of my best friends are in it with me. I thank God everyday for blessing me with my friends in corp and just having the corp itself in my family.”