Winter Sports New Addition: Winter Track

Winter sports at HHS have begun with one new addition – winter track.  For the first time ever at Hawthorne High School, winter track is available.

All of the events included in the spring track season, like long jump, shot put, and sprints, also occur during the winter season.  The practices are held on a daily basis, consisting of both indoor and outdoor practices depending on the weather. Although the high school does not have an indoor track, indoor practices still take place at Hawthorne High School. On days when weather does not permit players to practice outside, they run throughout the halls and use any free rooms to prepare for their upcoming season.

The head coach is Gus Schell, and he is extremely excited to start the season.  “We have never had winter track before, so I’m not sure what to expect.  There’s a great group of athletes who are extremely enthusiastic, which makes the season look promising,” says Coach Schell.

As of now, according to the HHS winter sports calendar, a total of three meets are scheduled.  The meets will occur at Amory Track in New York, NY, and John Bennett Indoor Athletic Complex in Toms River, NJ.

Many students are excited to participate in the new addition to the winter season, including HHS senior Paige Stroh who said, “I’m so ready to get this season started.  Having a winter season will help get me in shape for the spring season.”

“Track is all about pushing yourself, and trying your best,” says Schell.

Good luck to all of the winter track participants.