Student Teacher: Jennifer Mustachio

A new student teacher with a passion for art, Jennifer Mustachio, joins Hawthorne High School for the second semester of the 2012-2013 school year.

Mustachio, who is studying with Media Arts teacher John DiLonardo in the art department of HHS, is going for a masters degree in Art Education and Special Education at Montclair State University. “Art making and working with people with particular needs are two things I love. My degree is a combination of both,” she said.

Mustachio graduated from Brick Memorial High School located in Brick, NJ, and went to Caldwell College in Caldwell, NJ.  Although she originally majored in art therapy, she changed her focus and graduated with dual bachelor’s degrees in Art and Psychology. Mustachio is a strong realistic life artist and makes embroidered portraits. She admits that it’s a little stressful and exciting to be a student teacher, but a relief to have Mr. D as a mentor. “I think he’s a fantastic teacher.” Mustachio loves being at HHS every day and working with all the students. “It’s great. I couldn’t have been assigned to a better place.”

Outside of school, Mustachio is an artist and bass player in a band. The band opens international acts. She currently lives in Point Pleasant and enjoys spending a lot of her time at the beach. She loves mint chip ice cream and Snicker Doodle cookies.