Faculty Favorites: Mrs.Phibbs

Julia Aguero, Staff Writer

There are many teachers in Hawthorne High School. Most of them are student’s favorites. One of them happens to be Mrs. Michele Phibbs. She teaches Geometry and Algebra III. One of the Clarion reporters got a chance to interview and ask questions about her job and her experiences along the way here at HHS.

Clarion Reporter: When did you begin teaching?

Mrs. Phibbs: In 2009 I started teaching math and computer science in college. In 2013 I switched to teaching math in high school.

Clarion Reporter: What do you like most about teaching?

Mrs. Phibbs: The sense of accomplishment from students when they understand something new.

Clarion Reporter: What do you like most about geometry?

Mrs. Phibbs: It is very applicable to real life.

Clarion Reporter: How long have you been teaching?

Mrs. Phibbs: I have been teaching for about seven years. I became a teacher as a second career.

Clarion Reporter: What made you want to become a teacher?

Mrs. Phibbs: I had wanted to teach high school math since I was in high school. I worked for IBM for many years and afterwards I had my children. That’s when I decided to become a teacher. Our country needs more scientists and engineers and I thought I would be an effective math teacher because I love math and as an engineer I see the connection between math in the classroom and math in real life.

Clarion Reporter: What do you tell your students in order for them to achieve more?

Mrs. Phibbs: Participate in class. If a student is really listening and really following a lesson and tries to participate, then I believe they will do better. I also encourage students to read. Studies show that reading for pleasure increases math grades.

Clarion Reporter: What do you like to do outside of school?

Mrs. Phibbs: My interests are varied. I read, garden, knit, hike, cook, do puzzles, and spend time with my family.

Clarion Reporter: Where did you go to high school?

Mrs. Phibbs: Immaculate Heart Academy.

Clarion Reporter: What is the best part about being at Hawthorne High School?

Mrs. Phibbs: The students!

Clarion Reporter: Do you enjoy what you teach?

Mrs. Phibbs: Absolutely, if I didn’t enjoy it I wouldn’t be doing it. I love math and I want my students to have a solid foundation in math so they have career choices later.