Poetry Day Success

A Look at the HHS Poetry Day!

Breanna Rooney, Staff Writer

Poetry Day here at Hawthorne High School was a great success this year! It was a very enjoyable day for all. There were many fun activities that included Rhythmic Jump Rope, Acrostic Poem, Abstract Art Poetry, Kahoot!, Blackout Poetry, Poem Continuation Station, and Window Poetry.

There were also two raffles: one for finding hidden poems around the school and one for bringing in your own poem. The prize for each was a $10 Dunkin Donuts gift card.

The Clarion decided to ask the club’s resident seniors what they thought of the day, and something about the club in general.

Clarion:  How long have you two been in the club?

Justin Rodriguez: I have been in the club since 9th grade.

Phillip Rodriguez: That’s when I started as well.

Clarion: How did you enjoy the day?

Justin: I enjoyed the day despite having to make up tests in between activities.

Phillip: I feel like we succeeded with our goal of sharing poetry with the school.

Clarion: Do you think it went well?

Phillip: It seemed like everyone enjoyed themselves.

Clarion: What did you enjoy most about it?

Justin: I enjoyed hearing that the sophomores, juniors, and seniors remembered activities from last year’s Poetry Day and had many more creative poems and ideas to add to this year.

Phillip: I enjoyed running the Black Out Poetry station.

Ms. Fiorilla also had something to say about the day. She said, “Poetry Day was a HUGE success. The club members worked very hard and we appreciated all of the help and support to make it such a fun event. The plans for next year are already in the works!” 

Overall, the Creative Writing Club truly outdid themselves this year with this Poetry Day. If you happened to miss it this year, it’s an annual event so come join next year!