Being a Firefighter

An alarm goes off at 3 a.m. for the local fire department. While many others would go back to sleep, firefighters respond to the call. It is not easy being a firefighter while juggling work and family. It is especially not easy being a volunteer firefighter. Volunteer firefighters, who those we have in Hawthorne, do not get paid for serving the community yet while everyone is running out of a burning building, they are running in.

Travis Lodder, a 2011 graduate from Hawthorne High School, is one of many volunteer firefighters in Hawthorne who sees firefighting as a great and courageous thing to do. Lodder is on Company 2 in Hawthorne and he wants to make firefighting his career.

Recently, Lodder passed and graduated Firefighter One at the Passaic County Public Safety Academy. As a graduate from the Fire Academyhe learned many things a firefighter must know. He learned everything from ropes and knots to vents and sprinklers.  Firefighter One is a difficult course to endure. Firefighting can be physically demanding at times just like the Firefighter One course.

At any time during the day or night, firefighters can be called to the call of duty. It could be 3 a.m. or 3 p.m.; whenever the tones go out, a firefighter jumps up and responds to the firehouse.

Lodder is extremely dedicated to firefighting.  Lodder spends vast majority of his time at the firehouse. He loves going on drills and learning new things in the world of firefighting. Lodder participates in a lot of fire department activities. He goes to the different drills, meetings, and seminars the department and his company hold. He also participates in the annual Memorial Day parade held in Hawthorne. Along with the parade he goes to the firefighter memorial and breakfast.

“I love doing what I do because I am helping people and giving back to the community,” Lodder said.

Firefighting is difficult yet a courageous thing to do. Lodder shows just how dedicated he is to the fire service every day. He never gives up and always keeps going. Firefighting is a great way to help the community and always will be.