Alum Jerry Pecoraro: A “30 Under 30” CPA

Jerry Pecoraro (2006) is an accomplished individual. Upon leaving HHS, Pecoraro received acknowledgment of his hard work through several scholarships:

• Edward J. Bloustein Award – New Jersey Distinguished Scholar
  • John Philip Sousa Band Award
  • John P. Deehan Memorial Scholar
  • W. Paul Stillman School’s Truncale Scholarship Recipient
  • NJSCPA 2009 College Scholarship Recipient
  • Independent College Fund of New Jersey’s Martin R. Sullivan Memorial/ PricewaterhouseCoopers Scholarship Recipient 2009

At Seton Hall University (SHU) Pecoraro continued this successful academic career and continued to gain recognition, that includes the following, for his hard work:

• In 2009/2010 academic school year, Pecoraro founded the first bilingual (English/Mandarin Chinese) undergraduate business newspaper in the nation. This publication still currently runs as a “special edition” to Seton Hall University’s undergraduate business newspaper – The Stillman Exchange.
  • In May 2010, Pecoraro received the Beta Gamma Sigma Alumni Bronze Medallion. This award is presented to an undergraduate senior and a graduating M.B.A. who have exhibited outstanding character, exceptional scholastic abilities, a record of participation in collegiate activities and the promise of future business leadership. Beta Gamma Sigma is the national academic high-honor society for university students studying business.

Pecoraro graduated from SHU magna cum laude in May 2010 with a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration (BSBA) with a concentration in accounting. He is now working towards his Masters of Taxation (MST) at Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Pecoraro is currently a tax accountant specializing in international taxation. He works closely with large multinational corporations who have foreign operations all over the world. Pecoraro says he loves the “problem solving and critical thinking required of him on a daily basis.” In July 2011, Pecoraro was named one of New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants’ (NJSCPA) “30 Under 30.” This list represents the top 30 certified public accountants under 30 years old.

Pecoraro says that what he learned most at HHS was time management. “If you keep involved you need to find the time to commit yourself fully to those activities,” says Pecoraro. “Sometimes balancing extracurriculars and school work was tough, but I started mastering the life skill of time management at HHS.” Also, Pecoraro believes that if you enjoy what you’re doing, if it makes you feel good inside, and if you’re proud of the work you’re accomplishing, that’s all you’ll ever need to be successful in life. “All too often people get caught up in activities for the wrong reasons. In HHS I learned that if you do what you’re passionate about, you’ll always end up successful.”