Ali Hadi: ’09 Valedictorian, Prospering Med Student

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

Hawthorne High School’s Class of 2009 valedictorian, Ali Hadi, has continued to be successful beyond high school. In 2013, Hadi graduated from Rutgers University double majoring in Biological Studies and Middle Eastern studies. Currently, he attends New York University School of Medicine and plans to graduate in 2017. Upon graduation, Hadi plans to be a doctor. The NYU student gives credit to HHS on shaping him into the person he is today. He says, “[It] was one of the most important experiences in my life.”

The HHS alum had many amazing teachers but Mrs. Patty Atkinson-Battista is “one of the greatest teachers” Hadi had the pleasure of learning from. Hadi recalled that she knew her history well and challenged the past valedictorian to think outside the box in class and in other aspects of life . Mrs. Theresa DiGeronimo and Mrs. Judy Niznick also played important roles in teaching Hadi lessons he continues to follow to this day.

Life has been busy for the medical student as he is now going through his surgery rotation in medical school. Surgery rotation lasts up to eight weeks and consists of observing various surgeries, patient rounds, working in an operating room, and being on-call at the NYU hospital. It requires a great deal of hard work and long hours. The ’09 graduate is lucky to have family and friends from HHS to help him through medical school. “Some of the friendships I made at HHS last to this day,” says Hadi.

His advice for seniors is to enjoy the last year and to embrace the time of “beginning the journey to discovering the kind of person you want to be.” If there is one lesson he learned at Hawthorne High it is that you never know what will occur, even if you believe you know what you’re doing.

Best of luck Ali with all your future endeavors from everyone here at The Clarion.