Alumni Spotlight: Summy Cardenas-Barreto

Alexandria Henriquez, Staff Writer

The Clarion is excited to introduce a new column called “Alumni Spotlight” showcasing graduates from Hawthorne High School. Next up, HHS alumni Summy Cardenas-Barreto from the class of 1995!

CLARION: How was your high school experience?

SUMMY: When teenagers start high school they’re usually so excited. They can’t wait to experience everything that comes with being in high school. I mean who wouldn’t? Everyone says that high school is the best four years of your life. For me they were not my best years, but I can say they were my most educational years. Of course I wouldn’t say high school wasn’t fun, because it was! I have learned so much about myself and life. I learned what the words family, love, betrayal, law, and life meant. All the events that happened to me, changed who I am and I’m glad it did. The experiences I gained throughout my high school years shaped me into the woman I am today. I also learned many lessons about friendship. Many failures had to be taken in stride. I am glad to say that I overcame and dealt with them all in the evolution. Many of the hardest lessons I had learned, I learned them all at Hawthorne High School.

CLARION: Did you play any sports or were you a part of any clubs?

SUMMY: No, I didn’t play any sports or was not a part of any clubs. My mom wanted me to focus on my education instead.

CLARION: Who was your favorite teacher?

SUMMY: My favorite teacher was Mrs. Robinson. She is the real meaning of a teacher! She was passionate, caring, patient, enthusiastic, and if you didn’t understand the lesson she would help you step by step until you did. I love her for that, I wish all teachers can be like her.

CLARION: What was your favorite high school memory?

SUMMY: My favorite high school memory was hanging out with my closest friends, prom, and senior trips.

CLARION: What were your plans after high school?

SUMMY: My plans after high school consisted of going to Bergen Community College to study in the medical field.

CLARION: What are you up to now?

SUMMY: I’m working as a certified nursing aide in Fair Lawn, New Jersey. I have been married for 23 years and I have three children. Two of my children attend Hawthorne High School. My oldest child is graduating this year in the class of 2019. My middle child is a sophomore graduating in 2021. Last but not least, my youngest child attends Lincoln Middle School and is in 7th grade. I’m a proud mom I have to say!