House Rules by Jodi Picoult: 4.5 Stars

When Jacob Hunt, an 18-year-old who’s crazy about forensic science, was three years old, he was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, which is a form of high functioning autism. His father, Henry Hunt, decided that Jacob was too hard to handle and left. Now all he does it send monthly child support checks.

Jodi Picoult had an adopted cousin named David who was diagnosed with autism. She remembered all the struggles her aunt had with raising him and decided to write House Rules. She decided that with the autism rate now peaking, with one out of a hundred kids diagnosed on the spectrum, that is was time to write a book that explored this theme. Picoult wanted the main character to be able to speak directly to the reader which meant the boy she was creating had to the at the high end of the autism spectrum.

Jacob has a 15-year-old brother named Theo who honestly wishes his brother was never born and a mother, Emma, who dedicates her whole life to helping Jacob.

Jess Oglivy is Jacob’s social skills teachers which means she teaches him how to interact with people.

One day Jess is found dead and the rest of the book is about Jacob being put on trial but in the end the reader is satisfied.

Picoult did a good job writing from every characters’ perspective. It’s not just one character’s view the whole entire time. The reader gets to see life through everyone’s eyes.

Because Jacob is so into forensic science, this book has a lot of medical jargon in it, which some readers may not like. The one thing I disliked about this book was how it ended on a cliff hanger. The reader never finds out what really happens. I would recommend this book to adults and young adults.