The Avengers: Over 4 Years in the Making: 5 Stars

If you are an intense Marvel fan or just somebody who pays attention to what happens after the credits of a movie, it shouldn’t have come as a shock to you that the Avengers was going to be released sooner or later. When Iron Man was released in 2008, there was a scene after the credits that revealed a prominent character from what would be the Avengers movie. The same thing happened at the end credits of Thor and certain scenes in Iron Man 2 and the end scene of Captain America. In addition to that, at the end credits of The Incredible Hulk, released soon after Iron Man, the viewer saw the character Tony Stark, Iron Man, meeting up with General Ross, inquiring about putting a team together, insinuating that Iron Man and the Hulk were going to be a part of it. If you are a Marvel comics fan, this would be a dead giveaway that there was an Avengers movie in the making.

Years passed and soon Iron Man 2 was released. Several references were made throughout about Avengers characters, more specifically Captain America. At the end credits of the movie, the viewer saw an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. go to New Mexico and see a hammer resembling that of Thor’s, which was another precursor to the Avenger’s movie, but more importantly the Thor movie.

At the end of Thor we see a glimpse into what the Avengers movie will be, with the appearance of Thor’s Brother,Loki. Finally, in Captain America we see Captain America talking to Nick Fury and being asked if he would like to be a part of saving the planet. This leads right into the trailer for the Avengers movie, which reveals all six characters including Black Widow, who made an appearance in Iron Man 2, and Hawkeye, who made an appearance in Thor.

I was blessed with a tremendous gift from my girlfriend–an all-day event at the AMC theaters in Garden State Plaza, on May 3, in which I had the opportunity to see all five Avengers movies starting at 11:30 am leading up to the premiere of the feature film at midnight. Upon arrival, I received a limited edition comic book, limited edition Avengers 3D glasses (I chose Captain America), and a lanyard and card indicating that I was part of this all day event. There are many individuals who may not have been able to sit through such an all-day event such as this, but I, on the other hand, have an intense passion for Marvel movies and was thoroughly entertained throughout the day, considering I have waited close to four years for this movie to be finally released.

One might think that because of the hype in the media and all the hoopla about this movie that the producers were setting us up for a disappointment. I am here to report that nothing could be further from the truth. This movie is a two-and-a-half hour thrill ride, with an incredible plot, humorous twists, and incredible cinematography. If you were looking for the ultimate superhero movie, you needn’t look any further than this movie.

The movie starts out with Loki reentering Earth, through the power of the Tesseract, a interstellar energy source, capable of opening holes transcending dimensions. He steals it with the intention of taking over the Earth with the help of the Chitauri (aliens). This is where Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. (Supreme Headquarters International, Espionage and Law-enforcement Division) come into the picture to try and defend the planet– with the help of the Avengers. They are assembled to try to save the human race and the planet from annihilation. Whatever amount of money you pay to see this movie, I assure you, it is worth it. The largest grossing weekend at the box office in history can’t be wrong.

Avengers is in theaters everywhere, now. Be sure to wait until after both sets of credits to catch a glimpse of the villain in the sequel to the movie and a humorous scene at the end.