A Day to Remember: “Violence (Enough is Enough)” Review

Popular metal-rock band A Day to Remember had been featuring a countdown to midnight of December 21, 2012 on their website. A new song entitled “Violence (Enough is Enough),” as well as new tour dates and merchandise were released after the countdown, but overall, the ultimate surprise left something to be desired.

A Day to Remember has been known for its ability to please a range of fans by swaying from heavier metal songs to lighter rock ballads; the song released happens to swing much farther to the side of heavy metal. “Violence” is about how lead singer Jeremy McKinnon feels trapped in a world full of hate and how it has influenced his life. In the song, he quotes, “You can call this a warning. It’s a warning that we’re drowning in our malcontent.”

Considering all the hype the band had been putting into the big surprise, I’m not sure it was worth it. I am pleased with the song, but it’s quite short, and I don’t think it was the right song to release as a preview to the new album Common Courtesy. The moral of the song is a satisfying one; however, many fans may still have been disappointed because they thought the surprise was going to be information about the new upcoming album Common Courtesy–which the band has also been heavily promoting. 

As a fan, I believe “Violence” is a message to fans saying that the band is ready to please its audience. Many are yet again satisfied by A Day to Remember’s ability to perform in a wide range of styles, but I don’t believe this was their greatest work. However, because of their loyal audience, I foresee a large, excited, and passionate audience at every show of the spring tour.