Rihanna Feeling a Little Unapologetic

Rihanna is at it again with her new album Unapologetic that was released in November of 2013.  It is recently becoming popular on the radio and rapidly filling the iPods of modern teenagers.  Her album mirrors the hardships she has faced in her life.

According to John Caramanica from Nytimes.com, Rihanna’s new album showcases her voice and just how talented she truly is.  She is referred to as not necessarily being a powerful singer, but rather an artist that gives a lot of depth and passion into each of her songs.  For example, part of her depth and passion may come from an experience back in 2009 when the news was full of stories about how she was the victim of domestic violence from her boyfriend, singer Chris Brown, and how, in 2013, the two seem to be close again.  Brown is even featured in one of her new songs on the album, “Nobody’s Business.”

The most popular songs from Rihanna’s album, according to the charts on iTunes, are “Stay,” “Pour It Up,” “Loveeeeeee Song,” and “Diamonds.”  HHS senior, Renee Buchanan, personally loves the songs “What Now,” “Nobody’s Business,” and “Stay.”  “Stay” is currently number four on iTunes and can be heard nearly all day long on most modern music radio stations.  The song features Mikky Ekko and shows a softer side to Rihanna.  It is a ballad duet and focuses on Rihanna’s romantic struggles.  The song has been said to have an almost haunting effect, according to Z100.  The line, “funny you’re the broken one when I’m the only one who needed saving,” probably refers to the former relationship with Brown.  Despite the abusive relationship, apparently she wants him to stay, according to the song.

Unapologetic had definitely made its impact on the world by getting Rihanna’s message and life out there.  Being full of both deep meaningful songs and also simple catchy songs, Rihanna has yet again broken out as a top artist, and I would recommend her album to anyone who asks.