HHS Singin’ in the Rain: 5 Stars!

Singin' 2aSingin' 3aSingin' 4aHawthorne High School’s spring production of Singin’ in the Rain was held April 25-28, 2013, and all who attended would agree, it was quite a success.

As the curtain opened, the audience was immediately transported back to 1920’s Hollywood. The story began at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre for the big premiere of the newest silent film, starring the beloved Don Lockwood (played by senior Steven Prieto) and Lina Lamont (played by junior Nicole Crilly.) As the show progressed, the audience, along with the characters, learned that the “talkies” were the wave of the future. While the people of Monumental Studios tried to accommodate the changing times, they realized that they must find a solution for Lina’s high-pitched, obnoxious, voice. When Don met talented, yet struggling actress, Kathy Selden (played by senior Rachel Kane), he realized that she could be the solution to the problem. Over the course of the story, Don and Kathy fell in love, which greatly angered Lina, who later tried to sabotage Kathy’s future career.

Jill Hackett, the play’s co-director, said this play was especially close to her heart because “the title, in particular, has taught me that no matter what the circumstance, no matter how difficult or insurmountable it may be, when we can sing through our own rain, it makes it easier to cope.”

The dancing, choreographed by Kimberly Griffin, was impeccable, especially with a cast of over 130 people. The singing was perfectly pitched, and the sets were very professional. My favorite numbers included the “Broadway Medley: Gotta Dance” and the “Singin’ in the Rain Finale,” which featured the entire cast singing and dancing together.

Two of the show’s leads, Prieto and Kane, took to the HHS stage for the last time of their high school career, and they certainly did not disappoint with numbers like “Good Morning” and “You Are My Lucky Star.” When asked about his experience as a member of the drama club, Prieto said, “It has been such a wonderful experience. This is my eighth production with the drama department, and I have made so many wonderful friends. A lot of hard work goes into each production from auditions to opening night, but once you are finally able to perform, the hard work pays off.”

The very talented and always entertaining, Nicole Crilly, is no stranger to handling the challenging task of playing a lead role. She has been starring in plays since her freshman year and never disappoints. Those who were aware of Crilly’s angelic vocal abilities were amazed at her ability to carry off the role of Lina with her loud, off-key performance.

Junior Dustin Scully also wowed the crowd with his big song and dance number, “Make ‘Em Laugh.” Although the number was a huge success, Scully admitted, “I was nervous to perform this number because I had to rely on my improv skills and comedic timing to really make the number my own.” The roar that erupted from the audience surely confirmed that Scully did a wonderful job.

While the audience watched what happened onstage, it was truly the work of the dedicated team behind the scenes that made the play come together. Without the help of the crew, the play would not have been able to flow as seamlessly as it did. Special thanks to senior stage managers Eric Nickl and Nick Addesso and senior sound manager Matt Fenkart on their last performance with HHS.

This show, though challenging, was excellent from the orchestra’s melodious overture, (featuring senior trumpet players Zachary Gurick, Bryan Criscitelli, and Tim Miller) to the curtain call. I think I speak for all of us when I say I can’t wait to see what Hackett and Griffin have up their sleeves for next year’s productions. The flawless Singin in the Rain will be hard to beat.