2014 Academy of Country Music Awards Predictions

The 49th Annual Academy of Country Music (ACM) Awards will once again be an over-the-top event with big stars and even bigger stakes. The ACM Awards, which will be hosted by Entertainer of the Year nominees Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton on April 6, 2014 at 8:00 p.m., are pitting the biggest names in country music against each other, and this Clarion writer and country music fan has some predictions for country’s big night.

Out of the 12 coveted awards, the biggest awards are Entertainer of the Year and Male and Female Vocalist of the Year.

In 2013, Luke Bryan won ACM Entertainer of the Year; this year the nominees include hosts Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton, as well as Miranda Lambert, George Strait and Taylor Swift. Based on how each artist has done throughout the entire year, my prediction is that Luke Bryan will once again be the 2014 Entertainer of the Year due to his many hits that were so good they could convert a country music hater into a country music lover.

The next big award of the night, Male Vocalist of the Year, has some stiff competition with nominees Jason Aldean, Lee Brice, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, and Keith Urban. Although Aldean brought home the award last year, I think Bryan will win Male Vocalist of the Year along with Entertainer of the Year due to his vast range of country hits.

Moving to to the female singer categories, the 2014 Female Vocalist of the Year award, which was won last year by Miranda Lambert, also pits some of the greatest country artist against each other.  Lambert is once again nominated, along with Sheryl Crow, Kacey Musgraves, Taylor Swift, and Carrie Underwood. With the way she connects with her fans and her range of hits this year, including “Two Black Cadillacs,” my prediction is that Carrie Underwood will win Female Vocalist of the Year.

This year, once again, Thompson Square is trying to take back their title of Vocal Duo of the Year, but they are up against tough competition with the likes of Big & Rich, Day + Shay, Florida Georgia Line, and Love and Theft. Based on each duos success in this past year, my prediction is that Florida Georgia Line will win this award.

The nominees for Vocal Group of the Year are Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, Eli Young Band, The Band Perry, and Zac Brown Band. Although Little Big Town brought it home last year, my predication is that the Zac Brown Band’s popularity and big hits will help them win the award.

The award for New Artist of the Year has a great group of nominees including Kip Moore, Justin Moore, and Brett Eldredge. It is my prediction that Brett Eldredge will win the award for New Artist of the Year for his hit songs like “Beat of the Music” and “Signs.”

Chief by Eric Church won Album of the Year last year. This year the nominees are Based on a True Story by Blake Shelton, Crash My Party by Luke Bryan, Here’s to the Good Times by Florida Georgia Line, Same Trailer Different Park by Kacey Musgraves, and Two Lanes of Freedom by Tim McGraw. Based on the music that is on the albums, my prediction is that Two Lanes of Freedom by Tim McGraw will win Album of the Year.

The Single Record of the Year Award, which was won last year by Miranda Lambert for “Over You,” has some fierce competition. This year the nominees are “Cruise” by Florida Georgia Line, “Highway Don’t Care” by Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift, “I Drive Your Truck” by Lee Brice, “Mama’s Broken Heart” by Miranda Lambert, and “Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker. Based on how each of these songs sound and the meaning behind them, my prediction is that “Highway Don’t Care” by Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift will win the award for Single Record of the Year.

The final award, Song of the Year, which last year was once again won by Miranda Lambert for “Over You,” has the best-of-the-best going head-to-head. This year the nominees are “Every Storm” by Gary Allen, “I Drive Your Truck” by Lee Brice, “Mama’s Broken Heart” by Miranda Lambert, “Mine Would be You” by Blake Shelton, and “Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker. My prediction is “Wagon Wheel” will win due to its overall popularity with fans – it was one of the best selling country singles of the year.

This year looks like it will be one of the best yet for the ACM Awards. The 2014 show will feature live performances from popular country singers, like Female Vocalist of the Year nominee Miranda Lambert and Entertainer of the Year nominee and country legend George Strait. The two artists will perform together in honor of Merle Haggards and her 50 years in country music. There will also be performances by artists Jason Aldean, Eric Church, Brett Eldredge, and Keith Urban.

Make sure to tune in to become apart of one of country’s biggest nights and see if this country music fan knows his stuff.