• Ferry capsizes in Iraq's Tigris river killing 71.

• Death Toll Rises From Cyclone Idai As Rescuers Struggle to Reach Those Stranded.

• Lion Air Crash Families Say They Were Pressured to Sign No-Suit Deal.

Top 5 Horror Books

wikipedia.com

Sierra Van Houten, Staff Writer

Halloween is good time to watch scary movies. But, what if you prefer to read a good book?

How do you decide which one is the best? That’s the easy part; just keep reading. A Clarion Staff Writer has chosen a list of the top 5. So grab some food, a blanket, and a comfy spot on the couch, because it’s time to read.

1. Dracula – A story about a vampire, but this is no ordinary vampire. This novel takes you through Transylvania aka “The Vampire Capital of The World”. But this is no plain old classic vampire. This is a rendition of the classic vampire character. So if vampires are your cup of tea, then I would definitely give this book a try.
  2. Frankenstein – This book gives you a full back story of how the green monster (we have come to love today) was made. The book follows Dr. Frankenstein around his laboratory and his everyday life, leading up to his creation.
  3. The Woman in Black – The movie was actually based off of a book. If you saw the movie you know that a house is haunted by this mysterious shadowy figure seen wearing all black, thus, given the name The Woman in Black. Well, the book has the same plot, but of course it is a little bit different.
  4. Ghost Story – Just by the name alone, you should be able to tell what this book is about. It is about a group of older men hanging out with each other telling each other ghost stories. One of the men dies and the others have reoccurring nightmares of death. But as the nightmares keep happening something from the past comes back to really haunt them: a murder of a young woman. Why does it haunt them so badly? I guess you have to read the book to find out.
  5. Carrion Comfort – A book that is based of a game that you play to talk to ghosts. A couple of teens get together to play the game. They thought nothing would happen. But when they keep thinking about murder (and with the recent death of John Lennon), you never know what is going to happen and what goes through the mind of these kids.
Sierra Van Houten, Editor

Hi, my name is Sierra. I am currently a senior here at Hawthorne High School. This is my third year writing for The Clarion and my position here is an...

• Top 5 Horror Books

Nick Manzi: Mr. Congeniality 2019

• Top 5 Horror Books

Mr. Hawthorne 2019 Recap

• Top 5 Horror Books

Luke Kowalski: Mr. Hawthorne 2019

• Top 5 Horror Books

There Is More To The Word Hate

• Top 5 Horror Books

Arts & Entertainment

A Breakdown of the 91st Oscars

• Top 5 Horror Books

Sports

TJ Palmer Becomes Mr. 1,000

• Top 5 Horror Books

Ecology Club T-Shirt Sale

• Top 5 Horror Books

Hawthorne High School Shines a Light on Human Trafficking

• Top 5 Horror Books

Mr. Hawthorne 2019

• Top 5 Horror Books

And the Spring Musical Is….

Top 5 Horror Books