• Charge upgraded against suspect in Charlottesville rally killing

• E.U. Leaders Agree to Begin Next Phase of Brexit Talks

• 'Youthquake' named word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries

Halloween DIYs

Giana Innocenti and Melanhy Navarro

Halloween is the perfect time of the year to be spooky. What’s even better is that there are spooky and scary DIYs to make! We have some craft and food ideas that are perfect for this spine-chilling time of year.

Craft Ideas

• Ghost Mason Jars: For this craft you will simply need a mason jar, lace fabric, googly eyes, and other things you’d like to add on. You first wrap the lace around the jar and glue it as you do so. When the jar is covered in lace the way you’d like, you can now stick on googly eyes to finish off your ghost. Also, you can add a candle or some light inside to really make your ghost come alive.

• Glow in the Dark Pumpkins: Another simple decoration idea is to make glow in the dark pumpkins. To be more creative and spice up pumpkin decorating, you can easily find some glow in the dark paint at a craft store and decorate a pumpkin any way you like. This is a good idea for decorating if you really want your pumpkins to stand out at night or outside when people are trick-or-treating.

• Bloody Candle: More of a scary idea is to make a bloody looking candle. For this you’ll need a white candle, and you could use a red candle, or a red crayon. You’ll also need a lighter or blow dryer to melt the red candle or crayon. To do this, you melt your red object over your white candle, and see as it drips down in a bloody looking way, for more of a creepy and scary decoration.

• Candy Corn Banner: For this you’ll need a paper plate and some orange and yellow paint, markers, or crayons. You simply can cut the plate into triangles

Snack Ideas

• Peanut Butter Bats: All you need to make these scary good treats is Oreos, peanut butter cups, and candy eyes. First, you need to take the cream filling out of the cookie, cut the cookie in half, and put some cream on the bottom corner of each piece so it acts as an adhesive. Then, you take the peanut butter cups and stick the cookies on either side so they can look like wings, and to finish it off you put on candy eyes.

• Red-eyed Cupcake Crawler: The ingredients for these creepy crawlers are black licorice, chocolate sprinkles, chocolate frosted cupcakes, and Red Hots. To make the legs, you need to tear apart the layers of the licorice and cut them into about one and a half inch pieces. Then you dip the cupcake in the sprinkles, stick four licorice pieces on each side, and finally two Red Hots to look like eyes.

• Nutty Mummies: To make these sweet treats you need Nutter Butter cookies, melted white chocolate, and candy eyes. First, you have to dip the Nutter Butter in the the melted chocolate, but be sure to stick a fork through the bottom so you can hold it! Then put them down on wax paper, stick a candy eye on it, and drizzle some white chocolate on it to act like a mummy’s wrappings. Let it chill for 15-20 minutes.

• Cupcake Brains: What you’ll need for this snack is, corn syrup, red food coloring, a red velvet cupcake, and pink frosting. First you need to mix the corn syrup and red food coloring and put the liquid in a squeeze bottle. Then you may frost the cupcake. When frosting, draw one straight line down the middle of the cupcake and then two squiggly lines on either side. Take the “blood” and put it on the cupcake so it looks like blood vessels around a brain.

Thank you for reading and we hope you have a very spooky Halloween!

• Halloween DIYs

A Festivo Festival: 2017 Spanish Festival

• Halloween DIYs

New Workshop In the Library

• Halloween DIYs

First Year Drum Major

• Halloween DIYs

HHS Celebrates Its Diversity with the New Culture Club

• Halloween DIYs

Paws-A-Tive Photography Contest

• Halloween DIYs

Feature Stories

Halloween, is There an Age Limit?

• Halloween DIYs

The Crucible Finds its Crew Managers and Cast

• Halloween DIYs

Here Comes Spirit Week!

• Halloween DIYs

Faculty Profiles

New Chemistry in Hawthorne High School

• Halloween DIYs

Home of the Bears

Halloween DIYs