• New York college student dies after falling from clock tower weeks before graduating.

• Strong storms, including at least one tornado, have swept through parts of the Midwest and the Mid-Atlantic region.

• Lori Loughlin pleads not guilty in her first response to the college admissions scam.

“Captain Marvel”: Review

“Captain Marvel”: Review

Andrew Gomez, Staff Writer

Captain Marvel, the newest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe has finally arrived. It is the first film in its continuity with a female character at the forefront. It has been breaking box office records ever since its opening weekend, and with good reason. Marvel has once again created a new hero, and she has made a fun, fresh, star-studded entry to its cinematic universe.

A viewer may walk into this movie expecting a clear-cut plot. However, there are a few twists and turns, right from the beginning. This is because of the shape shifting alien race, and the Skrulls, who play an interesting role in Captain Marvel. They frequently shape shift and disguise themselves as other characters. You need to pay attention to the dialogue if you want to understand what’s going on or you’ll be confused. This type of sudden plot-twist storytelling seems to be the way Marvel is heading for their future films, especially Avengers: Endgame. The directors of Avengers: Endgame have already warned us to be ready for unexpected surprises.

Captain Marvel, played by Brie Larson, is the long-anticipated heroine. Larson brings the character to life and is very enjoyable. Another fan-favorite character, Nick Fury has returned in Captain Marvel, and this time he has both eyes. He, along with other minor characters, are the comic relief of the film. However, one may find it mildly disappointing to witness how he lost his eye, as that is finally seen towards the end of Captain Marvel.

The film may not be as fast-paced or action-packed throughout, as opposed to The Avengers films, but it didn’t really need to be, considering the way the filmmakers were trying to tell this story. However, the action does pick up very quickly in the movie’s final 45 minutes or so, and it doesn’t disappoint. A fan of Marvel movies would definitely enjoy Captain Marvel. It deserves an 8/10.

Andrew Gomez, Staff Writer

Andrew Gomez is a junior at Hawthorne High School. Unafraid to be himself, Andrew doesn't care if he looks different. He enjoys writing news articles and...

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Spirit Week Day 4: Throwback Thursday

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Spirit Week Day 3: Workout Wednesday

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Shark Tank 2019

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Spirit Week Day 2: Tropical Tuesday

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Spirit Week Day 1: Twin Takeover

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Generous Donation Given to Hawthorne High School

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

HHS Pool Renovations Coming Soon

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Nick Manzi: Mr. Congeniality 2019

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Mr. Hawthorne 2019 Recap

• “Captain Marvel”: Review

Luke Kowalski: Mr. Hawthorne 2019

“Captain Marvel”: Review