Fleetwood Mac: Dreams And Drama

blakespot
Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors

Fleetwood Mac is a revolutionary band that has been working for decades at a time. The band was formed in 1967 in London by Peter Green after he had left his former band, John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers. The band had been doing well early on, and once Stevie Nicks joined in 1975 the band took off. Everyone loved her unique voice and the band’s summer vibe. Her music with the instrumentals of the original band was a hit. Then people started talking. So, why was there so much drama? 

No group created more drama on and off stage than Fleetwood Mac. From tortured love affairs and breakups to the use of drugs, it was never a dry moment. Stevie Nicks seemed to attract the drama. Whether it was between her and another band singer, or her ex-husband Lindsey Buckingham who was also a part of the band. Ever since Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham got together it was a battle of Love and War. 

Nicks and Buckingham were together for roughly 7 years, (1969-1976). Although they did not join the band Fleetwood Mac until 74’, they had a rough chemistry. There was tension anytime they argued which led to the breakup. One of their most popular albums “Rumors” included many targeted songs about the couple. Buckingham had composed “Go Your Own Way” heavily targeted at Nicks included on the album. The unexpected came and she retaliated with the most popular song today by the band: “Dreams.” The song has a mellow tone and heavy lyrics. 

Now here you go again

You say you want your freedom

Well, who am I to keep you down?

It’s only right that you should

Play the way you feel it

But listen carefully

To the sound of your loneliness

/

In the stillness of remembering what you had

And what you lost

And what you had

And what you lost

Oh, thunder only happens when it’s rainin’

Players only love you when they’re playin’

Say women, they will come and they will go

When the rain washes you clean, you’ll know

You’ll know

Now here I go again

I see the crystal visions

I keep my visions to myself

It’s only me who wants to wrap around your dreams

And have you any dreams you’d like to sell?

Dreams of loneliness

Like a heartbeat drives you mad

And what you lost

And what you had

Ooh, what you lost

Thunder only happens when it’s rainin’

Women, they will come and they will go

You’ll know

You will know

Oh, you’ll know

Their back and forth banter, although amusing, has everyone thinking, was it worth it? 

In 1997, the band was on tour called The Dance Tour. During this live show they performed another song Stevie Nicks wrote about Buckingham called “Silver Springs.” This song was meant to be on the Rumours album as well but never made it on. The band hadn’t seen each other in 2 decades and this was Nick’s time to sing the song as lively as possible. Nicks and Buckingham went their own way years ago and with one song the tension continued leaving MANY fans baffled and excited. After beginning the song, and Buckingham’s guitar solo the two get close and share vocals. This led fans to believe there was an affair between the two reuniting. Although that’s not true, it made the media stir. 

Remember, drama doesn’t define a great band or person: but the music itself says a lot.       

Kaitlyn Neeb, Staff Writer
Hi, my name is Kaitlyn Neeb, and I am currently a freshman at Hawthorne High School. I am very excited for the years ahead of me here at HHS. This is my first year of writing for the Clarion as well as in high school overall. I love to play volleyball and I am currently on the Hawthorne Bears Volleyball team. My interests include things like reading, writing, volleyball and downtime with my friends and family.