Changes in Hawthorne High School

From the first graduating class of 1935 to the class of 2012, numerous technological advancements and advanced teaching methods have developed the high school into what it is today. Hawthorne High School has definitely flourished from its early years.

Current English III and Journalism teacher, Theresa DiGeronimo, is an alum of HHS. DiGeronimo explained how back in the 60s and 70s the high school used to offer courses such as stenography, typing, business, drafting, and auto shop. She also said that the high school’s appearance has barely changed, the main difference being the addition of the art and English wing and the auxiliary gym. When asked about her opinion on the improvements DiGeronimo said, “The school has absolutely improved. My three kids went to school here, and they were very well prepared for college and life.”

Jennifer Basilone also graduated from HHS and is currently a guidance counselor here. After being asked what she believes to be the most significant change in the high school, she said she has seen a lot of changes in the counseling department. Basilone thinks the passion each counselor has for helping the students with family, mental health and social issues has really improved. “I think that it is a very good thing that our department is focused on a lot more than just scheduling students,” Basilone commented.

Hawthorne High School has even changed in the few years that our students have been here. Every year the school becomes more advanced, due to technological advancements and bright, new teachers. Jessica Terrizzi, current HHS student, commented, “I feel that the school is good at keeping up with new technology and is improving day by day.”

From the installation of the Promethean Boards to the new Library Media Center and computer lab, Hawthorne High School is constantly improving.