Westminster Dog Show: 10 Years of Champions

At the 137th Annual Westminster Dog Show on February 12, 2013, an affenpinscher named Banana Joe was crowned winner with his owner Ernesto Lara. As it has every year for the past 10 years, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show (which is also known as America’s Dog Show) was held in New York City at Madison Square Garden.

The Westminster Dog Show was established in 1877, and since then has been showing people around the world top dogs that have been trained to be champions. The dogs are judged in seven different categories: Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, Herding, Working, Terrier, and Sporting.

In the past 10 years, different breeds have won the title Best in Show.  In 2012, a pekingese named Malachy won. A Scottish deerhound named Hickory with his owner Angela Lloyd won in 2011. The winner in 2010 was Sadie a Scottish terrier. In 2009, Stump, a Sussex spaniel won the 133rd Westminster Dog Show. A beagle named Uno won in 2008. In 2007, a English springer spaniel named James (Ch. Felicity’s Diamond Jim) won with his handler Kellie Fitzgerald. A bull terrier named Rufus won in 2006. Carlee, a German shorthaired pointer won in 2005. In 2004, Josh, a Newfoundland won with his handler, Michelle Ostermiller. Last but not least, in 2003 at the 127th Westminster Dog Show, Mick, a Kerry blue terrier won  Best in Show with his handle Bill McFadden.