Singin’ in the Rain at Hawthorne High School

From pie throwing to jumping out of cakes, Singin’ in the Rain is a movie turned smash Broadway musical being performed on Hawthorne High School’s stage from April 25 – 28, 2013.

This comical musical takes place in the roaring 1920s. The story follows Don Lockwood, played by senior Steven Prieto, and his thriving acting career through the evolution of talking movies with his acting partner Lina Lamont, played by junior Nicole Crilly. This causes problems, as they now need to figure out how to get on the bandwagon of ‘talkies’ – or movies with sound. The problem is Lina Lamont can’t sing! Lockwood’s life becomes even more complicated, and comical, when he meets rambunctious Kathy Sullivan, played by senior Rachel Kane. This causes twists and turns throughout the musical with catchy songs along the way. These songs include well-known numbers such as, “Good Morning” and “Singin’ in the Rain.”

Paraprofessional Kimberly Griffin, who is co-director along with English teacher Jill Hackett,  states that she is very excited about organizing the catchy numbers and putting them together. She is also very enthusiastic about Hackett’s decision to choose Singin’ in the Rain as the spring musical.

One of the stage managers, Eric Nickl, says about his time working on the production, “It’s a wonderful experience for all of us.”

Hawthorne High School’s drama department has big shoes to fill after the successful performance of West Side Story in 2012. With the challenging aspects found in Singin’ in the Rain, such as the scene in which Don Lockwood literally sings in the rain, we can only wait to see what theatrical journey HHS’ drama department will take us on this time.

Tickets for this highly anticipated performance can be purchased starting April 15 from Hackett in room 216. Adult tickets are $15, and student tickets are $12. Dates and times for the performances are:

Thursday, April 25 – 7:30 p.m.

Friday, April 26 – 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, April 27 – 2:00 p.m. Matinee & 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, April 28 – 2:00 p.m. Closing Matinee