Go Green for Earth Day

Earth Day, a day to raise awareness about how to keep the Earth clean, has a vibrant history that still influences and inspires people wordwide to become environmentally friendly.

According to a report posted on History.com, Earth Day was founded in 1970 as a day to help educate people about environment issues. Earth Day is now a nation-wide celebrated holiday created by Senator Gaylord Nelson, elected to the U.S Senate in 1962 from Wisconsin, who was inspired by anti-Vietnam War protests in late 1960s. Nelson’s original goal was to create a mass environmental movement. In the fall of 1969, Nelson publicized the Earth Day concept at a conference in Seattle.  Also, Rachel Carson, a bestselling author published a book in 1962, Silent Spring, to helped raise awareness about the dangerous effects of pesticides on American land. The first Earth Day became official on April 22, 1970 and was effective at raising awareness about environment issues and changing public attitudes about it.

Earth Day is currently backed by the Earth day Network, a non-profit organization that plans Earth Day activities, and they are doing great things for the Earth. According to a post on Earthday.org, “In 1990, Earth Day went global, with 200 million people in over 140 nations participating.” For the 2013 Earth Day, the 43rd anniversary of Earth Day, organizers expect more than one billion people worldwide to participate.

To take part in this worldwide experience, the website 50waystohelp.com gives some examples about how one might participate. One way that you can turn an average day into an eco-friendly day is by changing your light bulbs. “If every household in the United States replaced one regular light bulb with one of those new compact fluorescent bulbs, the pollution reduction would be equivalent to removing one million cars from the road.” Another way you can be greener is by using both sides of a piece of paper. Businesses around American throw away 21 million tons of paper every year. Just by using both sides could save millions of trees. Students and teachers can appreciate that too!

50waystohelp.com has many other ideas and useful tips such as when going to the grocery store, instead of bagging all the food in a plastic bag use a reusable bag. Reusable bags are inexpensive and a readily option at stores. “Each year the United States uses 84 billion plastic bags, which are not biodegradable and are ending up in the oceans.”

If these ideas don’t work with your lifestyle, check out 50waystohelp.com for other great, environmental friendly ideas so you can be prepared for Earth Day on April 22.

When Earth Day comes around, what will you do to help the Earth and stay green?