Zombies in NJ: Run For Your Lives

If the zombie apocalypse comes, will you be ready? With the CDC releasing a guide to the zombie apocalypse, Preparedness 101: Zombie Pandemic, this has been a serious question for many people. If you’re one of many wondering if you would survive a zombie apocalypse, Run For Your Lives is a 5k run that will prepare you for just that. The race is built on the theme of the zombie apocalypse, and if you want to know what it will be like to be overrun with zombies, the race will be making its way to Medford, New Jersey on June 8, 2013.

Throughout the 5 kilometers, obstacles, including being chased by zombies, are set up to test your ability, strength, and endurance, as well as how good you work with your teammates, to escape the zombie apocalypse. Every runner is given three flags to attach to his or her waist, and as long as the zombies (who are infesting the course and hiding in places you’d never expect) do not take all of your flags, you are not infected with the zombie-causing disease.

Once a runner has gone through the obstacles and run from the clutches of the infected, they will get to the Safe Zone at the end of the race where they, infected or not infected, can enjoy the Apocalypse Party, which is full of music, games, dancing and more.

Hector Castillo, junior from Hawthorne High School, says, “I think that the Run For Your Lives race is a dynamic and exciting way to have some fun with all the hype about the zombie apocalypse.”

When a runner signs up for a run, there is a choice between being a zombie or a runner. Currently, the choice of being an infected zombie is already sold out for the race on June 8, but there is still space left for those who want to run the 5k as a survivor. To find out more information about the race, go to Runforyourlives.com.

Jessica Bryan, sophomore at Hawthorne High School, states, “I definitely plan on going; it seems like a really cool experience, and I would totally encourage people to go!”