Graduation: How Do You Feel?

It is the day every high school student dreams of the moment they walk through the school entrance on the first day of their freshman year. Graduation day. It is the day that is full of emotions for every student and the families of each student. How does our graduating class of 2013 see it though?

Many of the students graduating this year view this as a tough time because of the fact they are being separated from the friends and classmates they’d see every day. Senior Michelle Pasquale said, “I’m sad. I love everyone here. I’m going to miss everyone, even people I never knew.” Senior Renee Buchanan added, “I’m probably going to bawl my eyes out at graduation because it’s the end of a fabulous four years. I’m going to miss everyone including teachers, classmates, and underclassmen.”

On the other end of the spectrum, some students look at their graduation as the culmination of all the hard work they put in the past four years. Senior Christian Melendez stated, “I feel so accomplished that I’m graduating. I can’t believe that four years have passed, and now I am starting the college experience. I feel so proud of myself that I made it through high school and now I am ready for college.” Senior Jonathan Aliberto added, “Among all the emotions, I’m mostly excited about just moving on with my life.”

Maybe it’s the uncertainty of the future, but graduation also makes some students nervous. Senior Murad Elias said, “I’m not so nervous about graduating itself. High school itself was more of the first step. College, however, is what sets me up for the rest of my life. So in that respect, I am very nervous.”

Although there is a lot of joy throughout the day, graduation can also be a sad time as seniors reminisce about the unforgettable memories they had throughout high school.  Senior Cristel Costavalo said, “It feels bitter sweet. I am happy to leave and go out to the real world, but at the same time, I’m sadthat  I won’t see everyone I grew up with every day. It’s been fun.”

For many, college follows high school. Others choose to follow different endeavors. However, for all graduating HHS seniors, the end of high school marks new beginnings. So no matter where life takes them, The Clarion would like to wish the best of luck to the graduating class of 2013.