National Police Week

Throughout America, many will celebrate and honor police forces as National Police Week takes place from May 11 – 17, 2014. National Police week is an annual event that is a collaborative effort of many organizations, like the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, the Fraternal Order of Police/Fraternal Order of Police Auxiliary, and the Concerns of Police Survivors groups, who are dedicated to honoring America’s law enforcement community.

National Police Week originally started in 1982 as a one-day memorial service on May 15. This day was known as Peace Officers Memorial Day and took place at Senate Park in Washington DC. Decades later, the honoring of America’s forces in blue has grown. Now known as National Police Week, this weeklong event draws anywhere from 25,000 to 40,000 attendees from all the different police departments throughout the United States of America.

Even though National Police Week officially starts on May 11, this year the celebration kicked off on May 6. As usual, the festivities began with a mass ceremony known as Blue Mass at the St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Washington DC. The next event, the Washington Area Law Enforcement Memorial Service; this event honored those who lost their lives in the line of duty.

Other key happenings throughout National Police Week will be the 26th Annual Candlelight Vigil on May 13; the National Police Survivors Conference and C.O.P.S. Kids/Teens (a conference to learn about grieving and coping) on May 14; and the 33rd Annual National Peace Officers’ Memorial Service on May 15.

The National Police Week events come to a close on May 16 with MLB’s Washington Nationals honoring officers with a Police Memorial Night. During this event, police officers from around the country are welcomed to attend the game for a discounted price, and a portion of all ticket sales will be donated to the National Fraternal Order of Police Foundation.

Although the official National Police Week event is taking place in Washington DC, it can be celebrated anywhere in the country by honoring those who risk their lives or who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our safety. So, this week, make sure to thank your local police officers and police department for all they do!