Pedaling to Brake AIDS

This September, Clarion writer, Jessica Layton’s sister, Rebecca Layton, will be biking in the annual Braking AIDS Ride fundraising event.  Braking AIDS Ride is a three-day ride that covers 285 miles as bikers travel from Boston to New York City in order to raise money to help those impacted by AIDS.

The ride is organized by and benefits Housing Works, the largest grassroots AIDS organization in the United States. On the website, HousingWorks.org, the mission is stated as, “Housing Works is a healing community of people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS. Our mission is to end the dual crises of homelessness and AIDS through relentless advocacy, the provision of lifesaving services, and entrepreneurial businesses that sustain our efforts.”

Layton, along with thousands of others who participate and donate towards the event, realizes the importance of raising awareness and funds for AIDS research. According to AIDS.gov, “More than 1.1 million people in the United States are living with HIV infection, and almost 1 in 6 (15.8%) are unaware of their infection.”

Through its work, Housing Works endeavors to spread awareness of AIDS and help those affected by the ailment. They offer a multitude of lifesaving services, including medical and dental care, behavioral health, care management, supportive, and housing resources. The organization has advocacy offices located in many different states.  They also run several volunteer cafe bookstores and thrift shops, with all proceeds benefiting the cause. The Braking AIDS Ride is one of Housing Works greatest fundraising events that impacts thousands of lives in a powerful and meaningful way.

Layton’s inspiration for becoming involved in the Breaking AIDS Ride revolves around the death of a close friend, Jordana, who had previously taken part in the event. Layton addresses her motivation, “Two years ago I became familiar with what was then called, Breaking the Cycle, a bicycle ride from Boston to New York, led by Housing Works, that raised money for people living with HIV/AIDS.  Way back two Septembers ago, the closest person to me did that ride… Jordana [her friend that passed away and participated in the ride] was a big part of me.  I am still really missing that part.  Her nature consistently reminded me of the good things we can do, to help how this world just seems to be. Her decision to do the ride was an attempt to work on healing a lot of issues she was going through, and to put that energy into the positiveness that is volunteerism.  I will be riding in that spirit.”

Although Layton enjoys the casual bike ride, she admits she hasn’t experienced a bike ride with such a high level of intensity before. In an email she writes, “Although I ride daily, I’ve never ridden this much (285 MILES!)(for my German friends—458.663 KM!!). I’ve never done anything even remotely similar, but I think it’s time to assist in Housing Works’ mission.” Along with all of the riders participating, she must also reach a fundraising goal of $3,500 in order to participate.

Layton is an alum of Hunter College, where she graduated cum laude with a double major in art history and studio art. She is an employee of the Judd Foundation, an organization that works to preserve the artwork of the late Donald Judd. Currently residing in New York City, Layton shares her time living between her current homestead and Berlin, Germany, where she focuses on her artwork.

You can read the rest of Layton’s story  and donate to the cause here:

http://fundraising.housingworks.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=1665