• New York college student dies after falling from clock tower weeks before graduating.

• Strong storms, including at least one tornado, have swept through parts of the Midwest and the Mid-Atlantic region.

• Lori Loughlin pleads not guilty in her first response to the college admissions scam.

Shaquem Griffin Making History

Shaquem Griffin Making History

Sierra Van Houten, Editor

As some of you know, the NFL draft has now concluded and all the picks are set for the upcoming season. Many great football players went in the draft, but there was one in particular that caught the attention of many. His name is Shaquem Griffin, a linebacker from the University of Central Florida.  The reason he is so special is because he is not just your average linebacker. What makes Shaquem Griffin so unique is that he only has one hand.

When Griffin was in his mother’s womb, his amniotic sac was wrapped around his hand causing him to have his hand amputated when he was only 4 years old. Regardless, his disability did not stop him from putting on a show in the draft. Using a prosthetic hand, Griffin did 20 reps on the bench press and also ran a 4.38 second 40 yard dash, which was the fastest time to run the 40 yard dash since 2013.

While at the draft, Griffin made quite the impression on the Seattle Seahawks Head Coach, Pete Carroll. Shaquem’s older brother Shaquill was already drafted in the third round, the 90th overall pick, by the Seahawks in 2017, so it made sense as to why Carroll was paying close attention to him. But there was more to Griffin than his physical abilities or the legacy of his brother. Head Coach Pete Carroll also said that he loved the way Griffin handled himself in interviews, specifically an interview he had with ESPN.

Shaquem Griffin ended up going in the fifth round (141st pick overall) to the Seattle Seahawks joining his older brother Shaquill. Shaquem is very excited to be able to play with his brother again, and is expected to have a fruitful career with the Seattle Seahawks.

So let this story serve as a reminder that you can achieve anything you want if you put your mind and effort into it, regardless of the obstacles in place.

Sierra Van Houten, Editor

Hi, my name is Sierra. I am currently a senior here at Hawthorne High School. This is my third year writing for The Clarion and my position here is an...

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Spirit Week Day 4: Throwback Thursday

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Spirit Week Day 3: Workout Wednesday

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Shark Tank 2019

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Spirit Week Day 2: Tropical Tuesday

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Spirit Week Day 1: Twin Takeover

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Generous Donation Given to Hawthorne High School

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

HHS Pool Renovations Coming Soon

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Nick Manzi: Mr. Congeniality 2019

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Mr. Hawthorne 2019 Recap

• Shaquem Griffin Making History

Luke Kowalski: Mr. Hawthorne 2019

Shaquem Griffin Making History