Newspaper reporter approaches HHS Students during Coronavirus Outbreak

Anthony Bertollo, Staff Writer

On March 13, 2020, the Hawthorne Public School District officially announced that all schools would be closed for the next two weeks due to the ongoing outbreak of the Coronavirus. Until then, students will have to take part in online schooling to make up for this unexpected mid-March break.

As everybody knows, with every cause, there is always an effect. All after school activities are canceled, which means no clubs, no play rehearsal, and no sports. All of the students that partake in these activities were devastated to hear about this unfortunate news. However, one group of four students were not going to let the quick spreading disease ruin the otherwise beautiful weather that has been present through New Jersey lately.

On March 16, 2020, the foursome took a small break from their online schooling and came down to the turf field in Goffle Brook Park to play a quick game of soccer. In the middle of their game, the students started goofing around with one another. The horseplay ultimately ended in the students piling onto each other. As they disassembled their man-made pile, a blue car pulled up to the turf field. An older man stepped out of the vehicle and approached the students. 

He informed them that he was a reporter for a New Jersey newspaper. He was driving and noticed their pile and wanted to see what was going on. The reporter proceeded to ask the students what their opinion was on the Coronavirus and how it has affected them personally. After questioning them, he asked if he could take a picture of them in a pile, as he thought it would be a funny picture to attract people to the article. The students once again got in a pile, but this time for the big picture. The reporter thanked them, got back in his car, and drove away.

Out of the four students that were present at the turf field, only two agreed to be interviewed:

1. What was your first impression of the newspaper reporter?

Michael Washburn: I thought that it was a great idea to get kids’ side of what is happening [with the Coronavirus].

Kenny Rubio-Tovar: He was kind of suspicious.

1. How did you feel about his reasoning for approaching the team?

Michael Washburn: I felt like it was a great explanation.

Kenny Rubio-Tovar: I understand his reasoning and liked his calm approach.

1. Did you feel uncomfortable when he took a picture of the pile?

Michael Washburn: I didn’t feel uncomfortable when he took a picture.

Kenny Rubio-Tovar: I did not feel uncomfortable because it was funny.

1. Do you really believe he was a reporter for a newspaper?

Michael Washburn: Yes I do

Kenny Rubio-Tovar: I do believe he was a reporter.

It is always great to see students at Hawthorne High School get recognized and have a voice on serious topics such as this, especially during their goofiest moments. To all students and staff, stay safe during this difficult time, we will get through this.