El Niño Winter

El+Nino
Anꈪ
El Nino

After finally receiving snow since the beginning of 2023, no doubt everyone is buzzing to know if we will get more of the lovely stuff. Luckily, we are currently experiencing what is known as an ‘El Niño winter.’ An El Niño winter is where the trade winds are weaker, and pushes warm water east, towards the west coast of the USA. This causes most parts of Canada and northern America to be warmer and drier, however, the southeast and gulf of the US is colder and wetter, which usually promotes flooding and snow! 

This year, the strong El Niño weather will show warmer temperatures for the states higher up the Mississippi River Valley, as well as wetter than normal conditions for many parts of the southern and East Coast of the country (that includes us!). For the past 3 years, we have been in an El Niña weather situation. Meaning warmer temperatures and drier climates for us, which is why we had so little snow the past few years. 

But what does that mean for us? In order for NJ to get snow, we might have to hope the stars align a little bit. There are a few storms expected to come our way, but the conditions need to be just right in order to allow snow to fall.

This year’s El Niño weather makes the snow situation a very ‘big or bust’ situation. El Niño storms are known to be few in number, but very large with the snowfall. Many places averaged over a foot of snow across roughly 5-10 days of snowfall during their El Niño seasons. So if the conditions are right and the timing is perfect, this can be one unforgettable winter. 

The storm on the 6 and 7  brought us several inches of snow, as well as some rain, and some ice as well. Many people went out sledding, building snowmen, or simply shoveling their driveways. Even though there wasn’t enough snow to close the schools, or even delay openings, it seems that the snow was welcomed into the town of Hawthorne, which hasn’t seen significant snowfall in far too long.

Hopefully this El Niño winter brings us more storms like this one in the near future.

Kendra Michel, Staff Writer
Hiya! My name is Kendra Michel and I am currently a sophomore here at HHS. This is my first time writing for the school newspaper, and I can't wait to write fun and interesting articles for you all! I like to spend my free time drawing, sewing, or just hanging out with my friends. I am also involved with the color guard in the HHS marching band.