May In The Library Media Center

The Hawthorne High School Library Media Center is celebrating an abundance of new books, displays and activities this May.

Every week, five new books are displayed on the mobile book cart. These fiction and nonfiction books have been donated to the library by Scholastic Books and Simon & Schuster Publishing.

The Library Media Center is supporting the efforts of the HHS service club called SHARE, which has recently started a drive called Food For Fridays in order to collect food for the people staying at the Paterson YMCA. Collection boxes are now in the Library to encourage students to remember those less fortunate.

A display has been created to commemorate Mental Health Month, taking place during the month of May. This designation was initially declared 60 years ago. This year’s theme is Pathway to Wellness. Several books, such as What Happens in Therapy by Sara Gilbert and Mental Illness: Opposing Viewpoints by Tamara L. Roleff and Laura Egendorf, are available to check out.

National Be Kind to Animals Week is also being celebrated on May 5-12. To acknowledge this designation, books like Redemption: The myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution in America by Nathan J. Winograd and The Truth About Dogs: An Inquiry into the Ancestry, Social Conventions, Mental Habits, and Moral Fiber of Canis Familiaris by Stephen Budiansky have been displayed.

Choose Privacy Week, being celebrated May 1-7, has a display in the Library Media Center as well. This week was created in order to educate people on the importance of protecting their security. The Library Media Center has created a Facebook Privacy Quiz for students to take. Whoever answers all of the questions correctly will get their name submitted into a drawing. The person’s name who is chosen will receive a $10 iTunes gift card. If students or staff has a desire to learn more about this week, there are many books available to be checked out. Some of these books consist of Privacy and Surveillance by Cath Senker, Intellectual Property by Jeri Freedman, and A Look at the Bill of Rights: Protecting the Rights of Americans by Amy Graham.

The Library Media Center will also be celebrating National Teacher Appreciation Day on May 7 and Mother’s Day on May 12.

Congress designated May as National Military Appreciation Month in 1999 to ensure the nation was given the opportunity to publically demonstrate their appreciation for the sacrifices and successes made by our service members – past and present. The Library has created a display of books highlighting all branches of the military that offer students information on the important work of our armed services.

To commemorate the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867), the library celebrates Cinco de Mayo by offering a collection of books focusing on Mexican history, famous Mexican Americans, and Mexican cooking.

The Mother’s Day display of books highlighting mothers is intended to remind students of this important day and give them gift ideas from the heart.

HHS Library Media Specialist, Theresa DiGeronimo, said “I am definitely most excited about the Choose Privacy Campaign. We have had so many students submit answers to the contest about the Facebook Terms of Agreement that we are using the responses as a survey. At the end of the month we will tally the results to get a good idea of student awareness of their privacy issues on Facebook.”