HHS Students ‘Workout’ Their Brains

The Library Media Center added a play maker station, an area with different games that students can play, in April of 2014. As well as being fun, this station allows students to “workout” their brains in areas such as problem solving, manipulating, and analyzing.

Games available in the station include chess, checkers, Legos, knitting and jigsaw puzzles. According to Library Media Specialist, Theresa DiGeronimo, students taking part in these activities will learn new skills or improve the skills they already have while working collaboratively with other students.

Many students have been drawn to the knitting basket at the station. As a group project, some students are working together to knit scarves for The Seamen’s Church Institute’s Christmas at Sea program.  Students who have no prior skills in knitting are receiving lessons from each other and DiGeronimo. On top of learning new skills and working as a team, students are also helping others; The Seamen’s Church Institute will distribute these scarves to mariners away from home during the holiday season.

Media Specialist DiGeronimo welcomes students and faculty to donate games to the play maker station as she plans to expand the program next year to a entire designated area of the library.